July 19, 2009

Cultural Differences or Cultural Blunders


So, it dawned on me today just how confusing being a girl over here can be.

Depending on whom you happen to be with at the moment can depict what your status is here and how others treat you. I was hit with an ugly moment today when a Jewish boy tripped over a wire and fell directly in front of me. It was only he and I in the park and he was grabbing his ankle asking for me to help him up. His face led on that he was in pain. I just stood there frozen. What do I do? Back home- no problems… help the boy up and be on your way…Here- it is not so clear. I have heard of this before… people “acting” hurt or like they need your help but really they just want your wallet or something more…

Surely, this couldn’t be a trap. I looked around and nobody else was there (one of the qualifications for when this can occur). It could be a trick. So, on an impulse I told him to wait and I ran back up the road and found another Jewish male (the kipa...a head covering... is a dead give away) and asked him to help out this poor boy who appeared to be in excruciating pain.

On my way back home, I thought to myself when did I become so cynical or skeptical? Yuck! Then I thought back to only a few weeks ago when I called on an apartment. The man, with whom I thought was the owner agreed to show us around. Only after signing a lease did he demand a “broker fee” of an enormous amount for his services. He has harassed us ever since.

Then there is the opposite…I met a very nice young man at the gym the other day that unknowingly walked me half way home. He was very respectful and just his presence solidified my safety in walking home at dusk. Little did he know that just hours prior, I was followed and I had to dodge wine bottles being chucked at my head.

I tell you… the more time I spend here, the more I am aware of the uncertainties and the trials that some women face in cultures such as these. I do love being here… don’t get me wrong… but sometimes it can be a challenge.

Some of the other Graduate ladies and I stood on top of a roof in the Old City overlooking the rooftops

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You continue to follow your instincts. They have served you well so far....what an amazingly scary yet ongoing educational experience you are living...
(((hugs)))
Vonda