May 04, 2009

2 Weeks to Go!

So, we went on a field study last weekend to some caves in Israel. My friend Julia and I saw a great area in the cave where the light was shining through, so we went and stood in the light! Our friend Brad snapped a picture, and this is how it turned out! Amazing isn't it?

Ah, so in between cramming for those finals I have been reflecting on the last 3 1/2 months. My time here has been very good. In just this short amount of time I have been challenged to the core. When I arrived, I came with many questions about God. Who is He in the Eastern world? What was going on with the culture during the time that the original Hebrew bible was written? How much of it was handed down verbally? I was hoping to find some sort of path that might lead me to answers. Since arriving those questions have quadrupled. But this has been a good thing.

The more I read, the more I have questions. It seems that every avenue I travel down, there is always a side street to venture down which leads to another secret side street, which leads to another, and another. From time to time, I hit a pot of gold, otherwise known as an answer to a question and then I continue on the journey as before.

Ok, I know my "nerdy-ness" is going to show now... but it is true- I love learning. I feel like a CIA agent or the guy from Indiana Jones... life is a treasure hunt or a mystery (depending on how you look at it). Each clue leads to another. Sometimes you unknowingly pursue a rabbit trail and sometimes you find the treasure. I am looking forward to continuing this adventure for the next 1 1/2 years.

FYI- I'll be home for a month and then back to Jerusalem again at the end of June for Hebrew training! See you soon! Shalom!

No comments: