April 14, 2009

Easter 2009 In Jerusalem

Easter 2009

You can click on the above picture and it will take you to my Easter pics... Easter this year was... interesting...

Saturday night: It started off on Saturday night with a procession throughout the old city with flags, drums, bagpipes... swords...yes, it was interesting... the procession went throughout the city with the words in Arabic "We will follow the Christ and nobody will stop us" (translated for us by an onlooker)...

Sunday morning: We woke up early and went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre about 6:30 am (the place where most people say Jesus was burried and rose) and we were able to see them setting up for their numerous services for the day. Then we went to the Garden tomb, another place where the Protestants say he was burried, though it is highly unlikely due to the date of the tomb. From there, we went back to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and saw the crowded different Christian sects entering the church (I have a photo from above that shows the Coptic Church procession with the Orthodox service). From there, we went to the Western wall where the Priestly blessing was taking place for the Jewish priests (you can see them with their prayer shawls on). At 9:30 am I went to an Anglican church service... this was my favorite by the way... it was very different than what I am used to, but the preacher man gave a good message that stuck to the text. Last but not least, I ventured one more time to the church of the Holy Sepulchre where people were pushing and shoving their way into this church... I saw an old lady get pushed over so that another person could enter first. One person was arrested.

Eventually I ventured back to the "palace" (my name for the campus that we live in) and went to the rooftop where I could read, play music and sit in peaceful stillness. We finished Easter with a BBQ and a little volleyball. I hope you all had a great Easter.

No comments: